- Inform : Tell someone where you are going, who is with you, and how long you will be away.
- Checklist : Check your boat, equipment, boat balance, engine and fuel supply before leaving.
- When travelling for a long distance in boats, always bring navigation charts.
- Do not sail the boat if you are drunk. Just like driving is dangerous when drunk, boating is also very dangerous if you are drunk.
- Life jackets save thousands of lives every year. The best way to prevent deaths while boating is to wear your life jacket.
- In 2003, there were 5,438 recreational boating accidents that resulted in 703 fatalities (down 6% from 2002) and 3,888 injuries.
- Of the 481 drownings in 2003, 416 could have been prevented with use of a life jacket.
- All children younger than age 13 must wear a life jacket while in a boat less than 26 feet in length that is underway.
- Alcohol plays a role in 50 percent of all boating accidents, according to BOAT US.